Sitting down in the dentist chair can cause some individuals extreme anxiety. If you are feeling anxious about your next appointment, try one of these five tips to turn that grimace into a grin.
Five Tips to Soothe Dental Anxiety
1. Listen to Music – During your exam, pop in your earbuds and listen to your favourite music. This will help take the focus off worrying. Simply make sure you can still hear your dental provider speaking to you.
2. Ask For A Break – If you feel anxiety building up, ask your dentist or dental hygienist for a short break. This gives you the chance to breathe and refocus yourself before continuing with the procedure.
3. Talk to Your Dentist – Your dentist wants you to have a great experience. He understands that patients have concerns and fears about their visits. Lighten your worries by talking about them with the dentist.
4. Ask Questions – While being treated, ask what is happening. Being informed about what is going on will ease fears. You can use hand gestures to communicate if there are instruments in your mouth.
5. Request Sedation – Some dental practices offer patients sedation during procedures. This helps reduce pain and alleviate fear. If you feel that sedation could be a beneficial choice for you, talk to your dentist about your options.
At Dr. Mark Rhody Dentistry we treat our patients like family and we understand fears. We want to provide everyone with the highest quality care while easing any anxiety. Schedule your appointment today at (416) 231-4281.